Alcohol and Substance Alternative Program (ASAP) is a drug awareness program, consisting of a three hour class with group instruction and group discussion educating on the science of addiction and working with the youth to understand the behaviors that got them into the course. Part of the program consists of a brief behavioral health screening to determine if the child is in need of a further substance use screening.
This is a pilot program that has been implemented with Team Medford. Team Medford and the Police Department were awarded a federal grant the Sobering Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking Act Grant (STOP Act) to pilot the program.
Team Medford Adult Attitudes and Perception Survey 2013
90% of families support a diversion (alternative) program
92% of adults support the police in enforcing underage drinking laws
Education, Enforcement, Intervention
- Educate young and naïve youth
- Intervene with those that are breaking the law
- Screen for help, and remind the youth that there are consequences for behaviors
Civil vs. Criminal
- Accountable not liable- Does not show up on youths record however holds the person accountable
- 100% directly back to the City of Medford, you control who goes into the program
- Criminal complaint would involve the DA’s diversion & doesn’t go on the Criminal Record