Traffic & Accident Investigation Unit
The mission of the Traffic Unit is to improve safety and facilitate the free flow of traffic through the city. We try to accomplish this mission by directed high visibility enforcement, intensive electronic data collection, monthly traffic commission meetings and constructive input by our citizenry.
The Medford Police Traffic Unit is part of the Uniformed Patrol Division. It is comprised of two Sergeants, six Patrol officers assigned to traffic enforcement and one Patrol officer responsible for Crash Investigation.
The Traffic Unit operates several specialized vehicles:
- Speed monitoring trailer
- Public message trailers
- Traffic study collection units
Sgt. Hartnett is the Traffic Unit Officer in Charge and oversees the day to day activities of the Patrol Officers assigned to traffic enforcement, he selects locations for the deployment of targeted enforcement actions and electronic traffic studies. Sgt. Harnett is also the contact point for all major construction events that may impact the free flow of traffic within the city.
Officer Carl Brooks is the Department Crash Investigation Officer. He is responsible for investigating and reconstructing all major traffic crashes which take place within the city. He is also assigned as the Hackney Officer, with the responsibility of inspecting the city’s fleet of 50 taxi cabs.
Sgt. Durham is the Motorcycle Unit Commander which is comprised of three Officers. The motorcycle units are deployed during day and evening shifts and are responsible for targeted traffic enforcement, dignitary and funeral escort or any special event taking place within Medford.
The Traffic/Motorcycle Officers have received a variety of specialized training which includes motorcycle operation, radar/lidar operation, crash investigation/reconstruction, advanced field sobriety and drugged driving training.
- Accidents: In Progress (just happening) Call 911 or 781-395-1212
- In the Past Serious Accidents 781-391-6412 Sergeant/Accident Reconstruction & Investigations
- Records for Accident Reports 781-391-6760/6761
- Reporting Past Minor Accidents & Information (after hours) call Patrol Main Desk Officer 781-391-6404
Accident Investigation Unit Officers:
- Traffic Unit Officer in Charge Sgt. Charles Hartnett email@example.com
- Crash Reconstruction/ Investigation Officer Carl Brooks: cbrooksII@medfordpolice.com, Skype: carl.brooks227
- Traffic Officer Jason Montalbano: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Traffic Officer Frank Cassarino: email@example.com
- Traffic Officer Michael Leone: firstname.lastname@example.org
Motorcycle Unit Officers:
- Motor Unit Commander Sgt. Edward Durham: email@example.com
- Motor Officer Paul Giordano: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Motor Officer Richard LeBert: email@example.com
- Motor Officer Lawrence James: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: All accidents happening in Medford, MA that are not on State Roads please send the accident report to: Medford Police, 100 Main Street, Medford, MA 02155, Attn: MVA. If you had an accident on State Roads send report to: MA State Police, 520 Fellsway, Medford, MA 02155, Attn: MVA.