Firearms Permits

For Gun Permits please call 1-781-393-4769 our firearms licensing Detective at Medford Police Department.  We no longer accept “DROPPED OFF APPLICATIONS” or RANDOM WALK-INS. You must make an appointment.

If you have a specific legal issue regarding the ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, as well as your eligibility (or lack thereof) for the various types of firearms licenses, you are advised to speak to a lawyer for a qualified legal opinion.

The Medford Police Firearms Licensing Section issues firearms permits to Medford Residents, pursuant to MGL Chapter 140.

Steps to Follow in Applying for a License:

  1.  Take a Firearms Safety Course that is approved by the State Police. This is required by state law for all new issue permits after June 1,1998. Check at your local gun club or to find a certified training program.
  2. The next step in the process is complete the State FID/LTC application.
  3. Make an appointment with our firearms licensing Detective at Medford Police  1-781-393-4769. Bring with you to your appointment a completed application, check made out to the City of Medford in the amount of $100.00 and proof of your completion of an approved Firearms Safety Course.

A background check of criminal and other histories is run, and a set of the applicants’ fingerprints must be sent to the state police. All applications are sent through central processing and certified by the Colonel of the State Police. We have no control over the amount of time this takes. It could be as long as a few months depending on their workload. Please do not call about the status of your application, we will contact you.

Note: On the State application it states to have two photographs. Medford Police Department will take the photographs for licenses that we issue.

Types of Permits:

  1. Firearms Identification Card (FID) allows the holder to purchase, possess and transport non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. It also allows a handgun to be kept in the home or place of business only if the handgun was purchased with a Permit to Purchase. It does not permit, under any circumstances, the carrying or transport of a handgun in public by the FID holder. The FID card is a “shall-issue” permit; the issuing authority is required to issue unless there is a disqualification. A License to Carry is a “discretionary issue” permit, with part of the criteria being the issuing authority’s determination that the applicant is a “suitable person.” The chief also has the authority to impose any restrictions he deems proper on the terms of the license. Note: For new residents renewing a License to Carry originally issued by another agency, the Chief requires proof of approved training at the time of application in Medford. This is even if your original permit was issued prior June 1, 1998.
  2. Class A License to Carry allows the holder to purchase, possess and transport Large Capacity Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns, as well as their respective large capacity loading devices; It further allows the bearer to carry a loaded, concealed handgun in public. This is the only permit that allows the holder to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in public.
  3. Class B License to Carry allows the holder to purchase, possess and transport non-large capacity handguns, and large capacity rifles, shotguns and their respective large capacity loading devices. It does grant the bearer a limited right to carry a non-large capacity handgun, but the holder may not carry a loaded concealed handgun in a public place. For example, a security guard could carry an exposed, loaded non-large capacity handgun. Also, if transporting the firearm in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and in a locked case or trunk. [Pursuant to Massachusetts law, regardless of the type of permit held, if transporting a rifle or shotgun on a public way, said long arm must be unloaded (including any magazines for such) and in a case, unless involved in hunting, with a valid hunting license. Note: Veterans groups, while carrying unloaded rifles for ceremonial purposes, are exempt from this statute].

Note: Residents no longer need a permit to buy or carry Mace and/or pepper spray.

All of the above permits are valid for at least 5, but no more than 6 years, expiring on your birthday. Important Note: There is a 90-day “grace period” on expired licenses to carry.

If you have the old version FID Card, (issued prior to 1998) it is expired, despite the fact it says on it that it never expires. There is no exception for the possession of any firearms, rifles or shotguns under an expired FID card. Do not carry or transport any arms out of your home under any circumstances. We would advise you to secure any weapons with a properly licensed friend, relative or dealer until such time as you obtain the proper permit.