The mission of the Traffic Unit is to improve safety and facilitate the free flow of traffic through the city. We try to accomplish this mission by directed high visibility enforcement, intensive electronic data collection, monthly traffic commission meetings, and constructive input by our citizenry.
The Medford Police Traffic Unit is part of the Uniformed Patrol Division. It is comprised of two Sergeants, six Patrol officers assigned to traffic enforcement and one Patrol officer responsible for Crash Investigation. Contact the Traffic & Investigation Unit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 781-391-6412.
The Traffic Unit operates several specialized vehicles:
- Speed monitoring trailer
- Public message trailers
- Traffic study collection units
Duties of the department include:
- deployment of targeted enforcement actions and electronic traffic studies;
- managing major construction events that may impact the free flow of traffic within the city;
- investigating and reconstructing all major traffic crashes which take place within the city;
- inspecting the city’s fleet of 50 taxi cabs;
- motorcycle units are responsible for targeted traffic enforcement, dignitary and funeral escort, or for any special event taking place within Medford.
The Traffic/Motorcycle Officers have received a variety of specialized training which includes motorcycle operation, radar/lidar operation, crash investigation/reconstruction, advanced field sobriety, and drugged driving training.
Note: All accidents happening in Medford, MA that are not on State Roads please send the Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report to: Medford Police, 100 Main Street, Medford, MA 02155, Attn: MVA. If you had an accident on State Roads send Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report to: MA State Police, 520 Fellsway, Medford, MA 02155, Attn: MVA.